Thursday, July 21, 2011

OK, that was disappointing

In my last post, I talked about how ABC's Nightline was having a special on demonic possession. It turned out to be fairly lame. Most of the people on the show had admitted to having been heavy drug users in the past. And, frankly, that really damages their credibility to speak on the subject. My wife even pointed out that they could have fried a few brain cells during that time (paraphrasing). The most exciting part, for me, was the brief moment (maybe 10 seconds) when Darrel Ray appeared on the show. Unfortunately, I was too busy shouting, "Holy shit! It's Darrel Ray!!!" to really even listen to what he had to say. I think it was something about suggesting that people seek professional psychiatric treatment instead of exercisms, though.

The reason seeing Darrel Ray was exciting for me was mainly because what I wrote yesterday about hypnosis was influenced by him through what he has written in his book, "The God Virus," which I am currently reading and also have a signed copy of as I purchased it directly from Dr. Ray when he was at the American Atheist national convention in Des Moines, IA, this past April. (Damn, why didn't I get a photo of this?!?)

"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion." - Robert M. Persig

No comments:

Post a Comment