Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I need some help on this...

I'm trying to get some examples of a situation where something is claimed to be a bad example of something, yet there are so many bad examples that an observer gets the sense that the bad example actually "comes with the territory."

One that I have been able to come up with that is close to what I'm looking for is if someone claimed that "Rock and roll is about the music! Any musician who is a drug and/or alcohol addict is not a good representation of the industry!" The idea here being that drugs and alcohol have a history of being abused by many rock stars, so anyone who claims otherwise is stating what they perhaps see as ideal, but does not accurately reflect reality.

To put this another way, the "No true Scotsman" fallacy is being presented and I'm wanting a way to show the fallacy in some other example. But more so, I want the counter example to be frequent. In my example above, if one said a true rock star doesn't abuse drugs and/or alcohol, that would exclude a lot of rock stars!

***EDIT: My example was not influenced by the recent death of Amy Winehouse. This is an example I had before this event. This is merely a coincidence.***

No comments:

Post a Comment