Monday, June 27, 2011

Examining the Periodic Table of Atheists

OK, so ungodly news released a periodic table of atheists. There are many names on this list, some I'm not even familiar with. There are certainly some names that I think should have been included and others I may just not recognize but would know their work, particularly with the "Wicked of the Web" section.

With the nerd I am, one of the things I was wondering is how some of the symbols were derived. Some are obvious, as they include letters from the persons names. Some, though, are based on works the person is known for, so if you don't know the works, you can't figure out the symbol. Below I will list out those that are not obviously from the person's name, and I'll see how much I know. (Also, any help in figuring these out would be appreciated.)
  • 7. Adam Savage - ?
  • 13. Gene Roddenberry - Star Trek
  • 21. Phil Plait - ?
  • 27. Michael Shermer - Skeptic Magazine
  • 29. - Richard Haynes - ?
  • 30. - David Silverman - He's president of American Atheists, but where does the 'g' come from? The symbol might come from somewhere else.
  • 32. Ian McKellen - My guess is Gandalf, from the Lord of the Rings.
  • 33. Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam
  • 42. Douglas Adams - I feel a bit like an idiot for not knowing this one. :(
  • 47. Morgan Matthew - ?
  • 51. Mark Zuckerberg - Facebook
  • 77. Bobby Henderson - The Flying Spaghetti Monster!
  • 78. Chris Harper - ?
  • 105. Darrel Ray - The God Virus - Easy with a copy of the book on my computer desk!
  • 107. Samuel Clemens - Mark Twain
  • 113. Mohammad Jones - Might just be his name, but reversed?
  • 59. Hemant Mehta - The Friendly Atheist
  • 60. Matt Dillahunty - The Atheist Experience
  • 61. Jennifer McCreight - Blaghag
  • 62. Rebecca Watson - Skepchick
  • 63. Luke Muehlhauser - ?
  • 64. vjack - ?
  • 65. Steve Wells - ?
  • 67. Eli Smith - ?
  • 68. Seth Spreiter - ?
  • 69. Daniel Florien - Name sounds familiar...but I don't know.
  • 70. David Fletcher - ?
  • 71. Brian Keith Dalton - Name sounds familiar...might the guy be a medical doctor?
  • 96. Adam Lee - Maybe the first name in reverse?
  • 99. Andrew Hall - ?
  • 100. Monica Salcedo - ?
  • 101. Adam Brown - ?

No comments:

Post a Comment